Saturday, April 20, 2013

Automobiles and Me

I was hit by a car when I was about 7 years old.



Don't worry I was fine; just a little shaken up with a few bruises on my bum. It was a school day, after school to be precise and I had just gotten off of the school bus and was crossing the road to get home when it happened. The road had a deep bend that made it impossible for any oncoming car to see me until the very last minute.

Some daredevils tended to speed around this bend but fortunately for me that day, the driver wasn't speeding and so was able to stop relatively quickly, so the care just hit me and pushed me a few feet on the road.

It happened so quickly, I remember a few people gathering around me asking if I was okay, and I vividly remember telling them I was okay, I was okay. I was actually really scared I just wanted my mom, but I kept saying I was fine and that lived nearby. They let me go with my bum stinging from the bruises, and I ran. With my little heart racing inside my chest, I ran to my house. My mother was still at work but the lady who took care of the house was there. I didn't tell her what had happened but I ran to my room, locked the door and got my Bible.

This is a true story. At the age of 7 after facing a terrifying ordeal, I knew the first thing I should do was open my Bible. I am smiling now as I remember this experience because I can recall that scripture I had opened up to was Genesis Chapter 1: "In the beginning..." It doesn't matter what I read, it was just where my heart was at that age.

I don't remember much after that. When my parents finally came home, I told them everything. My mother was furious, as you can imagine! She took me to the doctor to get me checked out, we then went to the bus yard to find the bus driver and the owner and question them as to why they let a 7 year old cross the road alone and why no one called her when this happened. She made a big deal about it all but I was fine really...

Well not really, since then I have had a slight fear of crossing the street. I usually wait until it's COMPLETELY clear before crossing even if that means waiting for ages. Sometimes, I take a chance and zip across but by the time I reach the other I side I'm extremely nervous and heart is racing but I still do it. I face my fear.

Since then I've also been in two more motor vehicle accidents. One was on Christmas Day in 2009 and the other on September 11th 2011. The last one was actually really bad. I fractured my skull and had to undergo surgery.

But hey I survived! The thing is, immediately after all those incidents I was nervous about getting into cars or driving in general, but I refused to be overcome by fear. Going back to the Bible a favourite scripture of mine is 2 Timothy 1:7 where it says:

For God has not given us a spirit of fear, but of power and of love and of a sound mind.

I live a very full life, I travel, I write, I paint, I make friends, I dance to my favourite music when no one is looking....I wear red lipstick. 

Those dark moments were scary but can you imagine if I had just locked myself away because of them? How would I have gotten to see and experience Barcelona last year, or helped my little brother when he got hurt or encourage you who may be crippled by fear or your past?

My thought to you today is; get up, get dressed, get in that car (or bus) and drive into a brighter and braver future (lipstick optional). 

That is all.


No comments:

Post a Comment